Postoperative care for minimally invasive Achilles Tendon Repair
- DVT prophylaxis for 3 weeks postoperatively.
- Return to clinic 2 – 4 days postoperatively for dressing change, 2 – 3 weeks postoperatively for suture removal, and 8 – 10 weeks postoperatively for final evaluation.
- Early functional rehabilitation program carefully supervised by physical therapist in 4 divided stages.
- 1-for the first 2 weeks patients are allowed partial weight-bearing (30 – 40 pounds) and maintained in the splint or walking boot full-time.
- 2-then gentle ankle range of motion (flexion and extension) has begun, as well as at the thigh muscle. Patient should start to use the stationary bike under the physical therapist supervision. The goal is to reach neutral ankle position by the end of the 3rd week.
- 3-after 3 weeks, full weight-bearing is allowed with continuous use of the walking boot.
- 4-usually at the end of 8-10 weeks the walking boot is discontinued and weight-bearing is allowed without any external support.
- A more intensive program of ankle range of motion, stretching, isometric and proprioceptive exercises is instituted by the physical therapist.